Monday, April 22, 2013

A Singer, Cook And Family Man And The Dream To Stardom

My husband just left for the Philippines the other day and the separation anxiety growing inside of me is deafening every minute. Well it's all for the best, because the only good thing about not being able to see him for two months is being in ABS-CBN's Pilipinas Got Talent Season 4's Quarterfinals! Woot woot! It's the Filipino version of America's Got Talent, for those wondering, and so this whole new chapter in our lives is nothing but exciting! With something as big as this, digital footprints must take place. Thanks to Tim Berners Lee for the World Wide Web amongst other technological advancements we all luxuriate in, my absence and inability to document and track his journey isn't impossible. And to Russel's siblings as well who took the task of updating me when Russel fails to do the job.

Before this whole thing started, Russel is a cook by profession. Russel's passion for music and food is unwavering. Some would say, I'm one lucky woman - thinking every night is 'date night' as Russel whips me up yummy feasts whilst being serenaded all the way to dessert. Okay I exaggerated and that actually sounds like something off a Hollywood film. Lucky or not, I am blessed that's for sure.

         Russel (far right), together with his Sous Chef Carl Wiils (far left) and the rest of the team taking on this huge carcass at Grouse Mountain's The Observatory.
Russel's yummy Roasted Turkey with Sauteed Brussels Sprouts and Radish for our Easter Lunch.

Russel's journey began on mid 2012 after joining a competition, TFC Global's worldwide talent search called TFCkat. After submitting an audition entry with a cover of John Legend's Ordinary People, one thing led to another. Now he stands to be Canada's TFCkat Grand Champion for 2012, representing Filipino-Canadians in Pilipinas Got Talent Season 4.



I remember in one of our chats then telling him, "whatever outcome this may lead no one can make you feel otherwise. And please know that you're just a damn good singer". He agreed on taking it one step at a time. In a personal experience, some competitions have proved that talent isn't the only thing they seek. And so even if you're talented as hell but doesn't fit the profile they need, or maybe not as controversial and interesting to make the viewers vote, just kiss that title goodbye. The game may have changed, including a whopping Php 2,000,000 and nothing else but the best multimedia exposures every artist/performer can only dream of, but the plan remains the same. All praises were given to him by the judges during his Manila live auditions last January 2013. Now the question is, will he be able to capture the hearts of the voting Filipinos worldwide this time?



As Russel's live performance for his chance to make it in the Top 12 Semi-Finals draws a near, my heart is beating twice, if not thrice as fast by the day. I am just too excited and happy mixed with intense anxiety all at the same time, plus I miss him. Man, I think I'm gonna start drinking early that day. I know he'll do great and make my daughter and I extremely proud of him. As the music cues his voice will reverberate the whole room, even reaching the televisions of Filipinos watching in their respective homes, creating a silent piercing sound as people watch him in awe. One that will surely touch the faint of heart. Biased? I could be but I'm not prejudiced. Cause every time I hear his voice, it always gets me! All I know is that he aimlessly seems to awaken every inch of emotion in my body and that's what makes him special - my true and only champion.

Vote for Russel Figueroa on Pilipinas Got Talent Season 4 on Saturday, April 27, 2013. I've created a Facebook event with complete schedule and voting details to keep Russel in through the Semi-Finals.
Any stalkers? Follow him on Twitter, Facebook and or Instagram. Good luck Russel! I miss you and I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest Follow Button

mommysgonecray